Air Conditioning Wishes Granted for Two Families
When the Angie’s List Wishmakers program asked Dallas-area service companies to help grant an air conditioning need for an Arlington couple, there were more offers to help than need expressed, but it didn't take long to find other families also suffering under Texas's record heat without the means to cool down.
"We were really happy to be able to put these great offers to work for families," said Angie Hicks, founder of Angie’s List, the nation’s premier provider of consumer reviews.
Joining Tom's Mechanical – the company who helped the Arlington family and came back to help again – was Daniels Air Conditioning and Trane (the full name of the company)
Frank Daniels, owner of Daniels Air Conditioning, was one of the first companies to offer a helping hand when the first request went out.
“To be in a position that we are able to help makes it our responsibility to do so,” Daniels said. “The Wishmakers project and the integrity of Angie’s List made it an easy decision.”
Daniels’ crew provided more than $1,500 in service and materials to Doug Adair and his family, which includes three grandchildren, one of whom has Down syndrome. Adair has been out of work for nearly two years and just didn’t have the funds for the repair.
“I can’t thank you enough for all you’ve done for us,” Adair said. “When we get back up on our feet, we’ll be sure to help someone else in need.”
Mojca Jackson, a single mother of two, was another Wishmakers recipient. Her friend contacted the program after learning Jackson has been living in Dallas’s sweltering heat for more than three years without air conditioning.
Tom’s Mechanical, along with Trane, provided a new handler for Jackson’s system, valued at $2,750.
The Wishmakers program has been around since 2004 and has granted 35 wishes to date.
Previous Wishmakers projects include:
- Repairs air conditioning for Dallas-area family who had gone with out cool air for more than two years.
- Installing a new concrete walkway and steps for a Pittsburgh family whose daughter is stricken with Crohn’s disease.
- Providing a plumbing work and a new bathtub surround for a Milwaukee woman who suffers from multiple health issues.
- Giving a wounded soldier’s mother in Atlanta, Georgia, a new kitchen sink and dishwasher.
- Providing a new roof for a Shaker Heights, Ohiofamily who lost their three young daughters in a house fire.
- Helping a Chicago family move into a new house when their home was foreclosed after the death of their 11-year old daughter.
- Painting the home of a Carmel, Ind. family who faced financially difficulties due to medical ailments and the loss of a job.
- Building a room addition on to the home of an Indianapolis family whose little boy has the “Bubble Boy” disease and has to live in sterile isolation.
Angie’s List collects consumer reviewson local contractors and doctors in more than 500 service categories. Currently, more than 1.5 million consumers across the U.S. rely on Angie’s List to help them make the best hiring decisions. Members get unlimited access to local ratings via Internet or phone, exclusive discounts, the Angie’s List magazine and help from the Angie’s List complaint resolution service. Take a quick tour of Angie’s List and view the latest Angie’s List news.